Banda CJM Initiates Inquiry into Mukhtar Ansari’s Demise

Mukhtar Ansari

Amidst the controversy surrounding the demise of gangster Mukhtar Ansari, incarcerated in Banda jail, the Chief Judicial Magistrate of Banda has ordered an inquiry, to be carried out by the Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate. Following a post-mortem, the remains of Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi have been secured. Allegations have been made by Mukhtar Ansari’s son, suggesting his father was administered “slow poison” while in jail. Mukhtar Ansari, who spent nearly 19 years in custody, passed away due to a heart attack in Banda, Uttar Pradesh, on Thursday, March 28. His postmortem took place on Friday, March 29.

In anticipation of potential disruptions to law and order, the Uttar Pradesh Police has enforced prohibitory orders statewide. Mukhtar Ansari, a five-time MLA from Mau, had over 60 criminal cases pending against him.

Omar Ansari, son of Mukhtar Ansari, has alleged that his father was subjected to “slow poison” while in Banda jail. Similar claims were echoed by Ansari’s brother and Ghazipur MP, Afzal Ansari. However, authorities have vehemently denied these allegations.

Previously, Mukhtar Ansari himself had reported being given a “poisonous substance” with his food. He voiced this concern during a court appearance in Barabanki’s MP-MLA court, citing nerve and organ pain after meals. Despite being admitted to the district hospital for dehydration and subsequent normal medical reports, he was returned to jail. The Superintendent of Banda Jail attested to Ansari’s surveillance under CCTV and stringent security measures. The court was also requested to review CCTV footage. Earlier, several jail staff, including a senior officer, had faced suspension for lapses in Mukhtar’s security.

On the afternoon of March 28, Mukhtar Ansari’s health deteriorated, prompting jail doctors to administer first aid. Subsequently, arrangements were made to transfer him to a government hospital, with district authorities notified. Upon his arrival, the District Officer and Superintendent of Police were present, and he was later transferred to the district hospital in an unconscious state. Despite medical intervention by a panel of six doctors, he passed away during treatment around 9.30 pm.

A comprehensive post-mortem, conducted by a team of doctors under tight security and video documentation, was performed on Mukhtar Ansari’s remains, which have been preserved. The preliminary report attributed his death to a heart attack.

Meanwhile, Omar Ansari has penned a letter to the District Magistrate of Banda, urging for his father’s postmortem to be conducted by doctors from Delhi AIIMS, citing a lack of trust in the local medical adminstration.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Ashish Sinha

-Ashish Kumar Sinha -Editor Legally Speaking -Ram Nath Goenka awardee - 14 Years of Experience in Media - Covering Courts Since 2008