Ex-Congress MP Sajjan Kumar Hospitalization Delays Final Arguments in 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case

1984 Anti-Sikh Riots

Delhi’s Rouse Avenue court on Wednesday deferred the hearing of final arguments in an anti-Sikh riots case against former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar as he is hospitalized. This case pertains to the killing of a father-son duo in the Saraswati Vihar area during the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots.

Special judge (CBI) Kaveri Baweja adjourned the hearing of final arguments till July 18, 2024.

His counsel, Anil Kumar Sharma, informed the court that Sajjan Kumar has been hospitalized since yesterday. On November 1, 2023, the court had recorded his statement.

The case pertains to the rioting and alleged murder of Jaswant Singh and his son Tarundeep Singh in the Raj Nagar area. Initially, the case was registered at the Punjabi Bagh police station. Later, this case was investigated by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) constituted on the recommendation of Justice G P Mathur’s committee, which filed a charge sheet. The committee had recommended reopening 114 cases, and this case was one of them.

On December 16, 2021, the court framed charges against Sajjan Kumar for the commission of offenses punishable under Sections 147/148/149 IPC, as well as offenses punishable under Sections 302/308/323/395/397/427/436/440 read with Section 149 IPC.

The SIT has alleged that the accused led the mob, and upon his instigation and abetment, the mob burnt alive the two individuals, damaged, destroyed, and looted their household articles and other property, burnt their house, and inflicted severe injuries on their family members and relatives residing in the house.

During the investigation, material witnesses were traced, examined, and their statements recorded under Section 161 CrPC. The complainant’s statements under this provision were recorded on November 23, 2016, during the further investigation, in which she narrated the looting, arson, and murders of her husband and son by the mob armed with deadly weapons. She also deposed about the injuries suffered by her and other victims, including her sister-in-law, who subsequently expired. She clarified that she recognized the accused’s photograph in a magazine around one and a half months later.

Read More: Supreme CourtDelhi High CourtStates High CourtOther CourtsInternational

Recommended For You

About the Author: Nunnem Gangte